Monday, May 28, 2012

The Gift of Stories


Digital Storytelling taught me that every story can hold a deep and emotional impact especially when told with the voice of the storyteller. Somewhere in every story there are things that only a voice can express the true meaning of that experience, then add in images, music, and maybe sound effects and just about anyone can bring a valuable story to life. In some instances it may not even be the storyteller whom put the digital story together, but because it is still their voice and story the impact is just as great. This makes Digital Storytelling a great tool for storing memories, providing therapy, or just getting a valuable piece of someone’s life recorded for others to see.

During the process of making my own digital story I gained confidence in my new craft as a film maker. I learned to trust my instincts when telling a story and when making decisions on how to best develop my story. I found that in making stories I cannot be afraid to add a bit of myself in them and to be sure to remain true to myself when I do, as this gives the story more of an emotional impact. This, I believe, will become an immensely valuable skill in journey to becoming a storyteller.

Digital Stories are something I see myself using in the future as way of developing my writing and finding an emotional impact in every one. I think this is a great tool to use when developing a documentary or when wanting to find an honest view of some topic. Using digital stories to shed light on causes close to one’s heart can be an effective method to get others, even those who oppose your point of view, to see why it is you believe in the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment